Location: M-20 over the Tittabawassee River
Smith’s Waterproofing utilized 3 crews to perform emergency repairs on M-20 over the Tittabawassee River. This project had an expedited schedule due to the condition of the bridge, which was deteriorating rapidly. Large amounts of concrete were missing, leaving re-bar exposed.
The project included patching large amounts of concrete, reinforcing concrete beams with carbon fiber reinforced polymer sheets, structural beam replacement, and adding structural beam stiffeners. Repairs were also performed on concrete column, beams, and the abutments on the bridge.
After concrete was patched, a water repellant coating was installed. Finally, the failing downspouts on the bridge were removed and replaced with Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) downspouts. This was another project completed by Smith’s Waterproofing on time, under budget, and without injury.
- Concrete patching of 333 cubic feet of latex concrete on concrete beams, columns, and abutments
- 795 square feet of column wrap with fiber reinforced polymer sheets
- 677 galvanic anodes installed
- Removed and replaced structural steel beams
- Installed structural steel beam stiffeners
- Completed the project ahead of schedule and 10% under budget
- Bike path under bridge was open for duration of project
- News crews and public frequently visited the site for status updates