Location: I-75 through Royal Oak, MI
Through the Michigan Department of Transportation, Smith’s Waterproofing acted as the prime contractor on the I-75 High Friction Surface Treatment (HSFT) on I-75 north bound between 11 Mile Road & 12 Mile Road. The project included surface prep of the highway with 5 shotblasters, cleaning the dirt, dust, and contaminants, and then applying the HFST.
The MDOT schedule gave two weekends to complete the project, from Friday at 10:00 PM to Monday at 5:00 PM. Smith’s utilized four crews to complete the project in one weekend. The four crews worked 24 hours a day from Friday at 10:00 PM until Sunday at 6:00 PM. This project was completed with zero accidents or injuries.
- Installation of 58,680 square feet of High Friction Surface Treatment in one weekend
- Setup and maintain traffic control over the entire closure
- Completed 29% under the engineered estimate by MDOT
- Finished project and opened to traffic in less than half of the allowed time
- No reportable injuries or accidents